I’ve been trying to understand how WoW is going to look once Cataclysm is released. I have the nagging feeling that Azeroth will be populated by mostly Goblins and Worgen. Actually strike that – I think we’re going to live in a world of only goblins. Apart from the fact that goblins have always been very cool and a lot of fun, I can’t help but think that their racial traits are just out of this world, even compared to the Worgen. Lets have a look at the Goblin racials:
* Rocket Jump : Activates your rocket belt to jump forward. 2 minute cooldown, shared with Rocket Barrage.
* Rocket Barrage : Launches your belt rockets at an enemy, dealing X-Y fire damage. (24-30 at level 1; 1654-2020 at level 80). 2 min. cooldown.
* Time is Money : Cash in on a 1% increase to attack and casting speed.
* Best Deals Anywhere : Always receive the best discount regardless of faction standing.
* Pack Hobgoblin : Calls in your personal servant, allowing you bank access for 1 min. 30 minute cooldown.
* Better Living through Chemistry : Alchemy skill increased by 15 (and you gain bonuses for healing/mana potions you made; 25% more mana/hp from potions).
Firstly note that there is no stupid weapon specialization bonus, which often only benefit one class that a race can play. There is the obbligatory profession bonus, but while other races simply get something like a +10 bonus that raises the level cap, Goblins get bonuses on potions they make, 25% in this case. Then there is the usual increase to some sort of attack form, in this case attack and casting speed which will be nice for rogues. The other racials are just insane. Pack Hobgoblin must be the best racial ever. This is so overpowered it is insane. I can only dream of having this on my level 14 priest at the moment. Best Deals anywhere negates the need for levelling reputation as long as you don’t need to buy items or recipies. And rocket barrage and rocket jump just make this the best PvP race out there.
I did some research on the interwebs yesterday as regards to any changes to the existing racial traits in Cataclysm. So far I can find nothing at all. If they leave the other races as they are there is going to be a serious imbalance present. Add to that the fact that the great majority of players will be rolling a new toon so as to experience the new content, (something that was not necesarry in the last two expansionas as there were no changes to the old world), and I can visualise a world of only goblins. Is that such a bad thing? Well, I can see it getting old pretty fast.
If anyone is in the beta and can give us any information regarding changes to existing racial traits, that would be much appreciated.